Saturday, May 08, 2010

Great expectations

So, I saved a lot of my textbooks from college---mainly literature anthologies. I wondered what was the point of selling them back to the bookstore for pennies on the dollar when I could keep them and own so many great works of literature. Well, for the past 3-1/2 years, they have sat on my bookshelf, unopened. I have moved them twice (and they're not light). Every time I walk by the bookshelf, I feel the burden of my own unmet expectations. Did I really think I would one day get the urge to reread "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" or "Measure for Measure"? I'm more likely to reach for Julie and Julia or Better Homes and Gardens than The Norton Anthology of Poetry. Who was I kidding? I also had the idea that one day my kids might need them for school. But then it occurred to me that by the time I have any kids in college, the books will be at least 25 years old. And I actually hope none of my kids want to follow in their mom's footsteps---better to be interested in science like their dad. (If their interest is English, I won't discourage them, but, let's face it, people who are interested in and talented at science are positioned much better for the job market.)

So, last night, I decided enough is enough. I'm going to get rid of these books and the guilt that goes along with them. I looked two of them up on Amazon's textbook buyback page. Sure enough, they would take them, and pay me $70! I'm now 20 lbs. lighter, $70 richer, and have a foot of extra space on my bookshelves to fill with "low-brow literature." Ahhhh...that feels better.

5 comments:

Mary Kay said...

Wow! I think I may go look at my bookshelves and see what I have to sell! Good for you! I met your brother this week...finally...and I told him he was going to have to work hard to impress me more than his sister has! Ha. He seems really sweet! He is doing a great job already!

Jenn said...

GO KAYLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kalyn Gensic said...

I currently have several dense classics sitting on my bookshelf mocking me. I am blocking out my guilt by reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. That's classy.

Sallie said...

You find more ways to get money! Let's see....how much was YOUR initial investment in the books? I think you're coming out really well--just kidding!

Anonymous said...

By the time your kids are in college they probably won't even use books! Info will be scanned directly onto our retinas.

Tere