Thursday, June 03, 2010

Beauty Advice

Ok, as most of you know, I'm not much of a "product" girl. I don't wear makeup, use only a blowdryer and round brush on my hair, and can be ready in 20 minutes if I don't eat breakfast. But lately, I've been thinking I might need to add to my regimen. It seems that 25 might be the age when your skin starts to go downhill. Or maybe that's just me? I have been noticing a lot of wrinkles on my forehead and an especially deep crease between my eyes (from squinting). Darby says I'm crazy, but I swear, they were not there two years ago. Of course, I still get mistaken for a high-schooler quite often, so they must not be that noticeable.

But, besides the wrinkles, my skin has just seemed dull, for lack of a better word. I drink a lot of water, so I don't think that's the problem, although I do have very dry skin naturally. Do any of you have recommendations for moisturizers, exfoliators, masks, etc? I'm still hoping to avoid make-up for a while longer. But maybe there are some skincare products I should try? Help, please!

3 comments:

Kalyn Gensic said...

Well, I am a product girl. So let me tell you some of my tricks.

First off, the only real anti-aging trick is sun-screen. I wear a moisturizer everyday with an SPF 15, whether or not I'm wearing makeup. Right now, I'm using L'Oreal, but Oil of Olay is also very nice. Don't buy any of the fancy stuff that makes tons of claims. Just buy the most basic moisturizer with an SPF. Next, if you want to brighten up your skin, use a little fair bronzer along the top ridge of your foreheard and the ridge of you cheek bone that is on the outer edge of your eyes. Then, put a little (very soft) blush on the apples of your cheek. Lastly, use a tinted lip gloss. I recommend Maybelline Shiny-Licious in Pink Sorbet (it is my absolute favorite make-up product). You can wear is by itself, over lipstick, or with a soft lip liner for a more finished look. This should do the trick, but if you want an even-extra pick-me-up, apply a little white eyeshadow under the eyebrow and under the eye. It sounds crazy, but it works.

Jenn said...

Okay, I don't know your friend Kalyn, but I love her! She's a girl after my own heart!!

I must admit, when I read your post, I got giddy... this is my cup of tea! If you ever want help with make-up (shopping or applying), give me a call! When I worked for Clinique, I loved helping people do that!

A few suggestions:

1) Always buy make-up from CVS or Walgreens. If you save your receipt (packaging helps too), you can return any item you do not like for a full refund - no questions asked. This can save you a ton of money if you find something you don't like, looks bad, have a reaction, etc.

2) It's a myth that not everyone can wear certain colors. You can, and should! They CAN be subtle and stunning... you just have to find the right shade!

3) Mascara... that is the #1 thing you can use to brighten up your face!

4) I LOVE my Olay Total Effects mositurizer. I've probably used it for 8+ years. It's fragrance free, SPF 15 (UVA and UVB protection). Per their website: "this daily facial moisturizer provides the benefit of 7 anti-aging therapies in 1 essential product plus protection against sun damage."

5) You don't have to spend a lot on make-up, but it pays to have good brushes.

6) Check out my make-up blog for cosmetic specials, coupons and tips! www.makeupmeover.blogspot.com

Hannah Anderson said...

Here's the way to brighten your skin.

concealer
foundation
bronzer
blush

Any brand. Bite the bullet, Kayla! Everyone's doing it.