|He rocks a bib often because he's quite the spitter-upper.|
"Firsts" from This Month
- First time sleeping in his own room and then in his crib. At first, we had him sleeping in his little Rock 'n' Play Sleeper in our room. I assumed we would continue this for several months, as many people had told me they were able to sleep a lot better with the baby in their room. Plus, having the baby in your room reduces the risk of SIDS. However, I slept HORRIBLY with him in the room. He is a noisy sleeper, and every little grunt and sigh would wake me up. Plus, since our bed is so high, I still had to get out of bed to pick him up to feed him, so it wasn't really any more convenient. Right after he turned one month, we decided to move him to his room. I couldn't quite bear to put him in his crib, though. He just looked so tiny and lonely. So we kept him in the sleeper. We all slept much better, which leads me to my next first...
- First time sleeping through the night. For 10 glorious nights, he slept from 10:30 or 11 to 7 or 7:30. It was amazing. Unfortunately, it was short-lived. When we transitioned him to his crib, he began waking up at around 4 a.m., and he's done that consistently ever since. He does go back down for 2-3 more hours after he eats, so it's not that bad. I know only one nighttime waking is very good for a 2-month-old. But, it's so hard to go back after having a taste of a full night's sleep!
- First real smile. Darby got him to smile first, and now he smiles at us on a regular basis. We still have not found the one magic thing that makes him smile consistently, though. He seems more prone to smiles in the morning and when he's laying on his changing table. It's very hard to get a picture of him smiling because it's so fleeting.
- First trip to Waco to see both sets of grandparents. He did great in the car. We are so happy to live close to family again. I know we'll be making that trip very often.
- First playgroup. There are several women from church who get together once a week. Right now the babies are 2 months, 4 months, 7 months, and 1 year. So, there's not a lot of playing that goes on. But, it's fun for the moms, and, as the kids get older, I'm sure they'll become friends.
- First ACU Chapel. He slept through most of it.
- First Valentine's Day. He sent Valentine's cards to his grandparents and aunts and uncles. And he received Valentines from his grandparents and great-aunt Lea.
- Sometimes when he's about to sneeze, he gasps really loudly, like he's winding up for it. After he sneezes, he'll often say, "Goo..."
- It takes him a really long time to wake up fully. He'll stretch for a long time, scrunch up his face, grunt, and rub his eyes for like 10 minutes. It's so cute.
- He loves to suck on his hands, but he still hasn't quite gotten the hang of it. We try to encourage him to use the pacifier instead, since it's easier and less gross. But he'll use his hands to block us from putting the pacifier in. Or he'll hook one of his fingers around it and just pop it out.
- He loves to be out and about. When we're in a new place, he'll be really calm, taking it all in. But when we're just at home, he gets kind of restless.
- He constantly kicks his legs. It's very hard for me to get a picture of him that isn't blurry because he's always in motion.