Sunday, September 01, 2013

It's a Boy!

So, this isn't exactly breaking news since we found out a month ago, but I want to make sure I at least get the experience written down while it's still somewhat fresh in my mind.

From pretty early on in the pregnancy, I had a feeling that it was a boy. I can't really explain why, but the feeling just kept getting stronger as time went on. So, I went in to the sonogram feeling pretty confident about what we would find out. Of course, I wouldn't have been upset if we found out it was a girl. In fact, I think I preferred a girl just a little bit---mainly because I feel like I know more about being a girl. Plus, I love pink and other "girly" things. :) But, either way, I knew I would be excited, and was really ready to just find out so we could stop referring to the baby as "it."

I tried to prepare myself mentally for the possibility that the baby might not be cooperating and they might not be able to tell the sex. But inside I knew I would be so disappointed if that happened. We went to the appointment, and, just like the first sonogram, waited FOREVER to be called back. My parents were in town to help us move, so my mom got to come with us, which was really fun. Finally, it was our turn, and the technician spent a long time measuring all of the organs and getting pictures of all the individual body parts. I was trying so hard to be patient because I know that stuff is really important, and I'm grateful they're able to check all of those things, but inside I was dying to ask, "But what about the sex?" It didn't help that the technician kept saying the baby wasn't in a very easy position to see everything, which made me think she maybe couldn't tell. But finally, she asked us if we wanted to know. We said yes, so she moved the wand around and then, without saying anything, typed "BOY" on the screen. Mom and I didn't even notice at first because we were busy talking. Darby was just waiting for us to react. :) When we finally noticed, we were all excited and quickly shared the news with my Dad, Darby's parents, and Hannah and Matt. Mom had prepared a boy gift and a girl gift just for the occasion, which was really sweet.

Since we found out, I've had a few moments of panic where I think, "I don't know anything about being a boy! How can I raise one?" But then I think of all of the awesome boys I know and what a great job their moms have done, and I realize that raising kids is raising kids. You don't have to be a boy to be a boy's mom. (Insightful, I know.) Plus, I happen to have a pretty awesome husband who can clue me in on any boy-specific knowledge I might be lacking.

Now that we know the sex, the name question comes up ALL.THE.TIME. We plan to keep the name a secret, since we've found that most people are more kind with their opinions after the baby is born. However, it's kind of a moot point for now, since we cannot for the life of us come up with a name at all. We had a girl's name almost decided on (which we're saving for the future), but boys' names have proved more difficult. We don't have exactly the same tastes. And it turns out that coming up with names for my actual child is a lot harder than naming my hypothetical children was. So, if you have any great boys' names ideas (that you won't be using yourself), throw them at me.

4 comments:

Mica said...

This is so sweet, Kayla!! I wish I could have been there to celebrate with you (even though it would be totally weird to be like "and my husband and my mom are here...and my friend....") I am impressed you kept your cool during what I imagine was a totally agonizing wait. AHH, I'm so excited for you and Darby!!!! I'll email some baby names later!

Kalyn Gensic said...

You are going to love having a boy! They are so much fun, if a little bit hectic and stinky at times.

So here are some boy names I personally love: Calvin, Rowan, and Maxwell or Max. We considered all of those if Lydia turned out to be a boy.

Erin Voss said...

I'm a big fan of Max, too! I also love the names Joel and Jack. Being a teacher, I'm partial to ones that don't have a weird spelling and can't be made into a nickname. :)

Unknown said...

Kayla , actually a am amazed how could you do all that like rearing a family , studying , yoga practice, relating deeply with your sister/family ...hah hah..great and praise the lord !!