Sunday, November 02, 2008

We had a great Halloween weekend. On Friday, we had about 20 trick-or-treaters, which was great! Most were older kids, though, and a lot weren't in costume. That kind of makes me mad. If you want the candy, you should at least go to the effort of putting on a costume! But I didn't want to be stuck with a bunch of leftover candy, so I went ahead and gave them a bunch. I also cooked my worst dinner ever. I wanted to make something festive, so I chose pumpkin ravioli with gorgonzola sauce. It sounds weird, but I've had pumpkin ravioli before and it was really good. This...not so much. I used wonton wrappers, and they didn't have the right texture. They also looked kind of like flesh. Darby and I tried to eat it, but we had to give up. We had a good laugh and went to Wendy's instead.

I redeemed myself on Saturday by baking a pumpkin swirl cheesecake. It was the best-looking cheesecake I've ever made. It only cracked a little! Forgive me for bragging, but I just have to post a picture. Darby said that the cheesecake was "a much better use of pumpkin" than the pumpkin ravioli.


I took the cheesecake to a Halloween party on Saturday night. It was for our young marrieds group at church. There only ended up being three couples who came, but we had a great time! Darby and I wore our King and Queen of Hearts costumes that we've worn about three times before. (Hey, these people hadn't seen them!) I didn't get a picture of us on my camera but here's some other pictures from the party.

Dustin and Aubrey were Barney and Betty Rubble. Aren't they cute? We did make fun of Dustin for wearing a dress, though. :)

Each couple carved a pumpkin. Here's Darby hard at work on ours. My contribution was scooping out the seeds.




All of the pumpkins. The "T" for Jon and Katy Titus; Mine and Darby's interpretation of "The Scream"; Dustin and Aubrey's vomiting pumpkin (with a very creative use of the pumpkin innards)

The weather was PERFECT this weekend. Highs in the lower 70s and sunny. I managed to get a picture of one really pretty tree. There were a lot of people out walking and I started feeling self-conscious walking around with my camera. This picture doesn't do it justice. It's amazing to see all of the bright colors.

2 comments:

Mary Kay said...

Okay, I am jealous...the colors in that tree are beautiful and I know that was just ONE tree! Enjoy for me too! Maybe you should post the recipe for the cheesecake...because it looks yummy and stunning! Love and miss you. Mary Kay

Sallie said...

Beautiful cheesecake! It's kind of sad when a mother learns about cooking from her daughter!!! You can imagine how much I would love seeing the trees---we were just a little early in September. Love you, MOM