1. You have whiteout stains all over your hands.
2. You have not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 red pens open on your desk.
3. You can no longer read magazines or newspapers without noticing the tiniest mistakes like "hyphen stacks" (three or more hyphens in a row at the end of the column). And, yes, that is a mistake, at least according to our house style.
4. You start correcting people when they say "proofreading" when they mean "copyediting" and vice-versa. (I'm trying not to become this person. I really am!)
5. You start looking at your husband's textbooks to see who published and packaged them. Maybe it was your company (how cool!) And if it wasn't, you can get ideas on how to handle tricky tables and lists. :)
If I wasn't already the ultimate nerd, this job is pushing me closer every day! I knew I just had to post when I saw those 4 red pens on my desk. I have no idea how I managed to use every single one of them during the course of the day!