Sunday, December 27, 2009

4 Christmases

Well, Darby and I are nearing the end of our whirlwind Christmas trip. We have had so much fun. I only wish we could stay longer. We left Champaign on Wednesday morning and drove to Searcy, Arkansas, for Christmas with Darby's mom's side of the family. We had the party at a beautiful building at Harding University. Here's the whole gang:
Thursday morning, we headed for Dallas. That was an exciting trip to say the least. It had rained over 8 inches in the previous 24 hours, and we had to drive through incredibly high, rushing water on the Interstate. And just to show I'm not exaggerating, here's a few pictures of the access road and surrounding area, just before we got to the water covering the Interstate:

They used this boat to rescue an older man from his house.

I feel sorry for the poor people who had their cars at this garage.

And did I mention that we were driving a borrowed minivan? Yeah . . . fun times. But, we made it to Dallas. And just in time. About an hour after we arrived, they shut down many of the highways because of ice.

We enjoyed Christmas with my mom's side of the family. Ate way too much, played some crazy games of Catch Phrase and quoted The Office incessantly.

Girl frousins

Boy frousins

On Friday evening, it was back to Waco for Christmas with Darby's immediate family, then Christmas with my immediate family on Saturday. Today we're relaxing before we attempt to load up my parent's piano in the minivan! (And when I say we, I mean Darby, my brother, Darby's dad, and my dad; I'll be staying out of the way with my mom.) Tomorrow, it's on to Abilene to see Em and her new baby Lily, and then back to the frigid North. Hopefully the drive back will be much less eventful than the drive down was.

Hope you all had very merry Christmases!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

The picture of your family on the steps is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!