Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Home again, home again

Well, we made it back to Champaign. I think all total we spent 37 hours in the car. But, it was worth it. I still think I like driving better than flying; I was much less stressed out. And, in the future we can cut a lot of time off by taking more direct routes. We took a major detour this time to go to Abilene. My friend Emerald had a baby in September, so all of us Fat Tuesday girls (minus Kalyn---we missed you!) drove to Abilene to throw a little mini-shower for Em and baby Lily. So, it was Em's baby shower, but it was at her house and she made all the food. Ha! Carolyn joked that we should have gotten Em a hostess gift.

Look at this little cutie! I'm in love. She is such a sweet, good-natured baby.


Darby and I picked out some little footie pajamas for her. The next day, Em sent me a picture of Lily wearing them in the snow.

It was so fun to see all of the other girls, too. I was only able to stay for a little while, but I'm thankful for the time I had. After the shower, I met my friend Laura for a short chat. We've talked on the phone a lot since I've moved here, but we haven't seen each other at all. It was great to sit and talk face-to-face. I wish Darby and I could make it out to Abilene more often; it's not really on the way to anywhere, though.

When we got home, we got to unload this:
Yes, I am now the proud owner of a piano! My parents let me have theirs since neither of them plays. We almost gave up on bringing it back when we found out it would be over $400 to get a hitch installed and rent a trailer. However, our preacher generously offered to let us use his minivan to haul it. In spite of everyone's doubts, it fit easily in the minivan and wasn't too terrible to load or unload (not that I lifted a finger!). I can't get over how nice it was of our preacher and his wife to let us drive their van to Texas and back. Plus, he shoveled our driveway while we were gone and helped us unload the piano. We're so grateful! Now I just have to practice. I'm pretty rusty.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That's so great that you have the piano! I'm jealous - enjoy!

Happy New Year!