Saturday, January 02, 2010

Happy New Year!

New Year's Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. It's so low-key. You just get to laze around and eat yummy snack foods. And this year it's even better since it's a 3-day weekend. Darby and I spent New Year's Eve at our friends' (Jon and Katy) house. We played Rock Band, which is AWESOME! I can't believe I just discovered it. Other than that, we've just been spending our gift cards, unpacking our Christmas gifts, playing games, and doing a little cleaning. It's been great.

I love making New Year's resolutions. This year, I've kind of already made them (my list of things to accomplish before my 25th birthday). So, I thought now would be a good time to give a little progress update on those.
  1. Take a cooking class. Haven't started looking into this.
  2. Bake one new recipe from each of my cookbooks. Have done 3 of my 10 or so cookbooks.
  3. Learn two new songs on the piano. The piano is at our house, so I'm well on my way.
  4. Decide once and for all if/when I'm going back to school and what I will study. This is in the works, but I'm not ready to share details yet.
  5. Read 5 books that I've owned for at least a year. I've finished 2 and started a third.
  6. Find a local charity to get involved with. Haven't started yet.
  7. Take another workout class. Looked at the Spring schedule; I'll start a class in a couple of weeks.
  8. Start at least two more herbs. Will do in March.
  9. Visit St. Louis. Hoping to do this in the spring or summer.
  10. Devise and stick to a housekeeping schedule. Working on it.
  11. Have 3 "dinner parties" (with party defined as at least two other people besides me and Darby). I cooked lunch for three of my girlfriends, so I'm counting that. We also hosted our Young Marrieds' group, but that was more just snack foods. If I get desperate, I'll count that one.
  12. Go camping/hiking. It's currently 2 degrees (for real), so . . . no.
  13. Try 2 new restaurants. Done. Old Time Chicago Pizza and Carmon's creperie (that one was easy!)

1 comment:

Kalyn Gensic said...

Just caught up on your blog after the break got me way behind. Sounds like it was an eventful trip! I'd heard about the bad roads, but thankfully, we beat them by a few days. Wish I could have been at the shower :( but it sounds like it was a great time. Hope everything is going well in IL. Just remember, we only have to get through about 2-3 months of below 20 degree weather. Doesn't that make you feel better?