Wednesday, August 08, 2012

My newest hobby

As many of you know, Mica taught me how to knit in March. I thought I would enjoy it, but I had no idea how much I would love it. It's very addicting. Even so, my first project took quite some time. I started a scarf but ran out of yarn before it was long enough. When I went to the yarn store to buy a new skein, they were out of that color and wouldn't order any more. I was so dejected. I left the store crying, and put my scarf away for about a month. My sister convinced me to just continue it with a contrasting color. So, off I went. I figured out how to join the skein, but I realized I wasn't going to like how it looked. So, even though it pained me, I ripped the entire thing out and started over, this time making it narrower. It went much faster the second time around and looked more consistent.

Modeling my work. It was about 100 degrees that day, so the last thing I wanted to do was put on a scarf, but I suffered through it.

It's stacked on top of itself in this picture, so the edges aren't actually that uneven. It's definitely not perfect, but I guess that's part of the charm.
For my second project, I decided to go up one level of difficulty and do a ribbed headband. After much trial and error, I figured out how to do ribbing, and I'm loving the way it looks. I think I'm about halfway done. As with most of my crafty projects, I am perhaps more proud of this than is appropriate. Ribbed fabric is so cool because it's very stretchy.

Knitting fits in very well with my other favorite pastime: watching the Olympics. I've been happy as a clam for the past week sitting on the couch all evening long. Now, I just have to decide what project to do next!

3 comments:

Mica said...

Wow, I'm so impressed! Your ribbing looks so good!!

I think when I do just knitted (Is that garter stitch??) scarves, my edges always look uneven too. I think that's why most people do do knit/purl or something.

What's next? A hat? Ribbed headband?

Hu Master said...

Air Max Cheap online store supply max 95, max 2012. All Air Max 2012 are high quality with cheapest price.

Jenn said...

Nicely done! I'm always so impressed with those who knit. I cannot (for the life of me) get it. So well done!!