Thursday, June 28, 2007

Baby face

I know I look younger than I am. Everyone who happens to find out I've graduated from college feels it necessary to inform me that I look like I'm still in high school. I even had a man at an antiques store seem shocked that I was old enough to drive. (That was a couple of years ago, but still...)

However, I did not realize how completely I look like a child until last night. I teach the 3, 4, and 5 year olds on Wednesday nights. Somehow, we got on the topic of growing up. One boy pointed at me and said, "You're a teenager." I said, "Actually, I'm not a teenager; I'm 22." Another girl said, "You're in college then." I said, "No, actually I'm done with college." At this point, the other teacher (who probably isn't more than 5 years older than me) said, "She's a real grown-up." The first little boy then said, "You don't look like a grown-up." And all the other kids nodded in agreement. Sigh. Not even five year olds think I look my age. After class, a middle school girl came by the room to see if we had any food. She looked at me in surprise and said, "Are you the teacher?" When I said that I was, she said, "You don't look old enough to be a teacher."

Aaahhhh! What can I do? I've tried wearing make-up; it doesn't make a difference. I was even dressed fairly nicely last night because I was still wearing my work clothes. For some reason, I seem to be stuck with the face of a 16-year-old (and that's on a good day). I know I'll appreciate my youthful look when I'm older, but right now it's getting annoying.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear ya. My husbands reaction when I got my hair cut: "Wow, you don't look fourteen anymore." I think this means I moved up to like 15 or 16.

Anonymous said...

Kayla,
Believe it or not, I was told that until I was about 30! I still have people tell me that they cannot believe that I am 42! So...appreciate it while you have it! It is great now!!!
Love you. Can't wait to see you next weekend.
Aunt Katina

Laci said...

i think you're beautiful just the way you are. :0)

Carolyn said...

Was it you or Britt that got hit on by those middle school boys at Harry Potter? I was just laughing about that incident the other day! Anyway, I've been told that I'm too young to be a teacher too. I do have a plan to look older though, and I think you should try - sleeping less than 6 hours a night and smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. That'll age us really quickly! ;-)

Emerald Lemmons said...

carolyn, carolyn, carolyn...::sighs::

People always told me I looked old for my age. That sucks. That means when you're 42 and still look 25, I'll be 42 and look 60. I have no sympathy for you, Kayla...or Kalyn...or Carolyn for that matter!