Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who I Love: In-Law Edition

Sorry I missed a day on my "week of love." Turns out posting every day is a little ambitious, even for me. But I'm at home today after having a mole removed from my toe. The doctor ordered me to lay down all day with my foot elevated. Sigh...it's a tough life. :)

I've talked before about how lucky I am to have the in-laws I have. I know a lot of people have tension with their in-laws, but that is so not the case with me. Here's a few reasons why.

Why I Love:
Debby!

  1. She is crazy-talented, and we benefit from that talent. She has made us three sets of curtains and two sets of throw pillows. For the latest round of curtains, I didn't have to do a thing. She found some fabric, e-mailed me a picture for approval, went to stores in Dallas to find enough of that fabric, made everything, and shipped it to me. For FREE!
  2. She is very thoughtful and always picks out great gifts.
  3. She's a great cook. She claims not to be but every dinner I've ever had at her house has been delicious. She gave me a recipe book with some of her favorite recipes in it, and I've enjoyed making them.
  4. She was a big help getting ready for the wedding. She was willing to do anything I asked, but she wasn't pushy about being involved and didn't give unsolicited opinions about decorations, etc. I've seen enough wedding shows to know that many mothers-in-law are not so unobtrusive.
  5. She's a great hostess. Staying at their house is like staying at a bed and breakfast (seriously). Every room is perfectly decorated; there's travel-sized toiletries by the sink; there's coffee served every morning and dessert or hot chocolate every night.
  6. She's fun to spend "girl time" with, whether that's shopping or going out to eat at cutesy places.
  7. I'm always doing laundry at their house, and, not only does she not mind, she's been known to finish it for me while I'm gone. I've come back on multiple occasions to find piles of clothes neatly folded on the bed. It's awesome!



Why I Love:
John!
  1. He likes to watch Dr. Phil. When I'm at their house, I get to watch, too!
  2. He is funny in a very dry way. When Darby and I were dating, this used to unnerve me. I never knew whether he was kidding or not. But now that I know him a little better, I "get" his humor and it makes me laugh.
  3. He is very laid-back. I don't think I've ever seen him get angry or upset. I could stand to be more like that.
  4. He's affectionate. Some dads don't show affection to their sons, but John will kiss Darby on the cheek, and he always says, "Love you, boy."
  5. He serves others in a lot of ways, but he's never showy about it. He is a great example to me of doing what's right because it's right, not to be praised for it.
  6. He makes a mean breakfast. When we're visiting, he'll make us bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches or French toast. he passed on his French toast making ability to Darby, so I reap the benefits even when we're not at their house.
  7. He helped Darby and me move to Illinois, and he didn't turn around and go home when he saw me freaking out and crying the night before we left. :)
And the most important reason I love both of them: They did a great job raising Darby. He would not be the man I love if it weren't for them. I will forever be grateful to them for raising such a wonderful son and then willingly sharing him with me.

No comments: