Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Who I Love: Parent Edition

These lists don't even begin to describe how awesome my parents are and how much they have done for me. The older I get, the more I appreciate the many large and small ways they showed and continue to show their love for me, Hannah, and Matt. I'm sure when I have kids of my own, I'll realize even more ways they blessed me. But here's just a taste of the many reasons I love them:

Why I Love...

Mom!
  1. No matter how old (and big) I get, she always lets me sit in her lap while she rubs my back.
  2. Like me, she always uses correct punctuation in text messages, even if that means it takes her 30 minutes to write one.
  3. She will drop everything to be there for her kids. My sophomore year in college, I was really stressed out about school, work, etc. I was about to go on a Spring Break Campaign and happened to mention to her that I had no idea when I was going to do my laundry. She drove to Abilene (in a tornado!) and did my laundry for me.
  4. She will do things she really doesn't want to do (fly on an airplane, ride cable cars at Disneyworld) if it means her kids will get to do it.
  5. I know I can call her for sympathy, even if it's just a small problem. She understands that sometimes I just want to whine.
  6. She's going to be an awesome grandma, but she doesn't pressure me to have kids. After seeing the way some people's moms act, I really appreciate that.
  7. She cares (and cared) for all of my grandparents like they were her own parents, even if they were her in-laws or stepparents. I don't think anyone could have given me a better example of the selfless love God wants us to show to others.
  8. She was really supportive when she found out Darby and I were moving to Illinois. I know she misses us, but she doesn't make me feel guilty for living far away, and I know that she is truly happy for us.

Why I Love...

Dad!
  1. He is very generous. Last year, I asked for money for new tires for Christmas. A few days later, I got an e-mail from him saying he had transferred the money to my account just because, not as a Christmas gift.
  2. Like me, he likes to argue (or, as I prefer to call it "have discussions"). We can disagree without being angry at each other.
  3. He uses his vacation and/or weekends to do things like help me and Darby move. My junior year, he drove out to Abilene one Saturday to help me paint my room.
  4. He inspired my love for reading. I never felt pressured by him to read, but I sure saw him doing it a lot. (He even reads while he brushes his teeth! I'm not that obsessed, but maybe someday.)
  5. He is, in general, a serious person, but he can be crazy, especially when he's wrestling with Matt. He has a really good sense of humor; he's one of those people who's effortlessly funny without being over-the-top.
  6. He gives me good advice about finances, career, school, etc. He is very wise, and I trust his judgment. I also appreciate that he doesn't expect me to do exactly what he says all the time. He gives me guidance, but lets me make my own decisions.
  7. He knows a lot about the Bible and is continually studying to learn more. I really enjoyed having him as a Bible Quiz/Bible Bowl coach in junior high and high school.
  8. When I called my mom to tell her Darby and I wouldn't be coming home for Thanksgiving, he's the one who called back less than an hour later to see if they could come up here. Now, I don't know exactly what happened, but what I imagine is that my mom hung up the phone really disappointed, and dad came to the rescue with a great solution. If it was mom's idea, well, I still appreciate dad for driving up here! :)

2 comments:

Sallie said...

Wow! You could re-title it, "How to Make a Parent's Day!" I am so blessed to have loving, appreciative kids like you! As for Dad and Thanksgiving--I was handling it well if I do say so myself, but he quickly came up with HIS plan to see you guys!

Kalyn Gensic said...

I remember number 3 on your mom's list. That was awesome.